BHS Swim Team Competes in District Tournament, Shows Improvement

On Feb. 15, ten Beachwood swimmers competed at the Cleveland State district competition.  

This team consisted of Lindsay Guth, Sophie Schoen, Harley Schoen, Maya Gaines-Smith, Hannah Frayman, Cory Hersh, Neel Lachwani, Wes Darvin, Bagatur Askaryan, and Kauner Hooper, who participated in the 200-yard medley, 200-yard freestyle relay, 400 freestyle relay, as well as several other individual events.

“I definitely came out of the season with a good overall feel,” said senior Cory Hersh.

The meet was not only exciting, it was successful: The girls’ 200-yard medley, 200 free, and the 400 all improved from the last competition.  Beachwood boys’ events also went better than before. Although no swimmers qualified for the state meet, the team was very strong.

Coach Brad Burget was happy with the results.  “Districts went very well.  The kids swam real fast, best times for everyone at the meet,” he said.

Although most times were improved, the team is looking to improve their scores further in the non-high school championships coming up.  

In addition to relays, Lindsay Guth, Cory Hersh, and Bagatur Askaryan competed in individual events. Guth placed 10th in the 50-yard freestyle and 17th in the 100-yard breaststroke.  Cory Hersh swam in the 200-yard freestyle and in the 400-yard freestyle relay, showing much improvement in each.  

According to Coach Burget, Guth and Hersh were the most impressive swimmers of the competition.  

The swimming season is over for the Bison, so the team is now focusing on training and building their club for next year. 

We’re about 3-5 years away from a really good girls and boys team,” explained Burget.  “We had two freshman boys and two freshman girls and I think they left [the meet] excited about their swimming…  We [also] need to encourage the middle school kids coming up.”