Three BHS Wrestlers Advance to State Tournament

Ryan Harris struggles with his opponent at the state tournament. Photo courtesy of Debbie Harris

The BHS wrestling team dominated at the two-day Division III Garfield Heights district tournament Feb. 22 and 23, with three Bison advancing to States out of the seven who qualified to compete in districts.

Senior Alex Angersola (145), junior Anthony Walden (138), junior Andrew Kitay (152), junior Ryan Harris (160), junior Trevor Sanshuck (170), Flowers (195) and Gross (120), all went to districts.

Gross and Harris both took first place in their respective classes, and Angersola took fourth place in his class.  All three are advancing to the state tournament, which begins on Feb. 28.

Harris is entering the State tournament with a record of 46-0. He and Gross (44-2) are on pace to set the record of most wins in a career by any Beachwood wrestler. Gross was a State Champion in 2012 at 113lbs.

Reflecting on the performance of the athletes at districts, Coach Dugan Bentley said, “It went about as expected, [we] didn’t overachieve or underachieve.”

In the end, Beachwood and Manchester tied for the most district qualifiers in the area. In order to qualify for districts, wrestlers must go through a round of tournaments and make it in the top four at sectionals. In order to qualify for states, wrestlers must be in the top four of their weight class at districts.

Bentley explained the key elements to success at the state tournament: “[I want to] make sure guys are healthy, focused, keeping them in the right state of mind for states,” said Bentley.