Basketball Coach Pecjak Suspended, Team Advances to Districts
While the boys basketball team is having one of the best seasons in BHS history, the bison are advancing to districts without head coach Jason Pecjak.
According to the Plain Dealer, Pecjak was ‘suspended indefinitely’ after sending an inappropriate message to a student using social media. The information was attributed to a source inside the school.
Beachwood administrators declined to comment.
“The whole team was surprised,” said senior captain Jordan Richardson in response to Pecjak’s suspension.
“I’m very close with [Coach Pecjak] so I was just really sad,” said senior captain Jon Tramer. “I’m not upset with him because everybody makes mistakes, although he did cross the line. I feel bad for him because he feels like he’s let the team down.”
However, the team is determined not to let this news interfere with their performance on the court.
“We really don’t talk about it. Everyone just kind of goes on with life. It happened. There’s nothing we can do about it, so just let it go and keep playing. We’re only focused on one goal: States,” said Richardson.
“Luckily we’re deep into the season, Tramer said. “We’re kind of in a routine where everyone knows how practice goes and how to prepare for games.”
Tramer continued, “[Pecjak] created a path that we’re not going to stray from…It’s just emotional that he’s not here, but on the court nothing will change. We’re well-prepared for playoffs.”
As the team progresses, they are keeping an eye out on St. Peter Chanel, their biggest competition.
“Last year we lost in the district finals in double overtime to Chanel. That [loss] put us in the right mindset for this year,” said Richardson.
Currently, BHS boys basketball has a record of 17 – 3. This Tuesday the Bison will hold senior night and play against Cuyahoga Heights. After that they will have one game left in the regular season, and are prepared to advance to district tournaments, which start March 1.