Drama Club Adviser Sheila Heyman Discusses “Crimes of the Heart,” Opening Friday

Drama Club Adviser Sheila Heyman Discusses Crimes of the Heart, Opening Friday

Why did you pick the play, Crimes of the Heart?

For a few reasons.  I’ve always wanted to do this play and have always liked this play.  It’s a play about relationships, which is my favorite kind of play because it allows me to help work on developing the actors’ relationships that their characters have with each other.

What are some cast members that you are excited about?

All of them.  I think we have a really good cast.  They are hard-working and they work well as an ensemble.

How has the process been going so far? 

It’s been going well so far.  The actors are working hard and they are discovering new things about their characters all the time.  That’s what a director needs: actors who are willing to work and explore.

What are parts of the play that are particularly dramatic? 

Each sister is dealing with some kind of crisis in their lives.  It’s interesting seeing them deal with each other as a family unit when their crises and personalities are so different.  There are unresolved conflicts that are fixed in the end.  They are functioning in their dysfunction as best they can.  However, there is also a lot of humor in the play.

How can Beachwood students connect to it? 

It’s a pretty universal situation, even if you are an only child, but especially if you have siblings.  You don’t always get along.  If you’re an only child, the friction may be with the parents.  Everyone deals with that.  Even though the students may not have these specific crises, they still know the experience of getting through personal crises while dealing with family issues.  The bottom line is even with all of their differences, the fact that they are sisters brings them together because they share a common history.

What were some challenges you’ve had during the process? 

I’ve found that there are things I’ve had to do myself, when in the past, I’ve had help, like being responsible for getting all of the props.  There is lots of eating and drinking in this play.  I didn’t realize this show had so many props when I chose it. Another challenge would have to be trying to develop a rehearsal schedule that accommodates everyone’s needs, because they have jobs and other activities.  It’s a small cast, so if one person can’t be there, sometimes you can’t have rehearsal.

How does the level of commitment of this cast compare to other casts?

I’ve worked with four of these cast members before.  Also, out of a six-person show, two actors are freshmen.  I’m very excited about that.

What problems have you faced because of having the show at the Middle School? 

One of the biggest problems has been building the set; for example, the materials, furniture, etc.  had to be transferred from the high school to the middle school.  Also, the high school and middle school have different schedules for being open on evenings and weekends.  The builder has a much tighter construction schedule.  Another problem is that there is very little backstage area at the middle school.

Is this a show that would be better off at the high school? 

I’m not sure yet.  I’ve never worked at the middle school before.  I don’t know until I have the experience.  This is the first year that I don’t have a theatrical tech director, so I have to deal with the technology in a different way.

How would you summarize the play? 

It’s a slice of life story.  It’s not really action-packed, but for two hours, we get to peek into the lives of these women, which is a fascinating experience.